|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider Ryuki.|
- "When I made that prediction, the next Rider to go was actually you. But fate has changed."
- ―Tazuka revealing to Shinji that he was supposedly to die in his place according to his prediction.[src]
Miyuki Tezuka (手塚 海之 Tezuka Miyuki) is Kamen Rider Raia (仮面ライダーライア Kamen Raidā Raia), a fictional character in the tokusatsu production Kamen Rider Ryuki. He is one of the 13 Kamen Riders the series revolves around.
Fictional character biography
He is a very accurate fortune-teller that believes in predestination. He fights to stop the Rider war and change their fates, similar to Shinji, Kamen Rider Ryuki. Tezuka is among the few honorable and noble Riders in the series. Though he was given the left Survive card, he gave it to Kamen Rider Knight, even though that could have made him stronger. Tezuka was not the original deck holder that was chosen to become a Rider. The real chosen one was Yuichi Saito, an excellent pianist and dear friend to Tezuka, who had lost his ability to play when a mugger (later revealed to be Takeshi Asakura) broke his hands and ruined his ability to play. Kanzaki later appeared before Yuichi to offer the restoration of his hands if he becomes a Rider, but Yuichi refused and was eaten by the monster GuldThunder as a result. Taking the Card Deck, Tezuka later contracted Evildiver and became a Rider to avenge his friend by ending the Rider War.
While at a square performing Coin Fortune Telling, Tezuka notices Ren and reads his future before revealing himself as a Rider. Though he overpowered Knight but not intent on dealing the deathblow, Raia is shocked with Knight's suicidal counterattack. But after the fight, Tezuka tells Ren that he cannot win the Rider War because of the doubt in his heart. After seeing a vision of Knight being defeated by Kamen Rider Gai, Tezuka prods at Ren to know the truth behind him when he meets Shinji, who also intends to stop the fighting among the Riders. Tezuka aids Ryuki and Knight in dealing with Gai before he (Gai) is killed off by Ouja.
Raia died in the TV series during a fight against Ouja. When Ouja performed his Final Vent against Ryuki, Raia pushed him out of the way and took the attack instead. He died shortly afterwards due to his wounds. Being a very accurate fortune teller, he knew Ryuki was the one to be killed and let himself take the blow as he probably knew that Ryuki's better off being the one to stop the Rider war while Knight was better off with the Survive card. Before he was about to die, he sensed something off with Yui but he never got the chance to tell Shinji before dying in his arms. After Shiro restored time to its proper course after Yui's death, Tezuka was given a second chance in life with no memory of being a Rider and was seen doing tarot card readings on the corner of the street.
Tezuka's role in the 13 Riders special was slightly altered from the TV series. He was friends with Ren and had once loved Eri Aikawa, Ren's girlfriend. Though he became a Rider to help Aikawa, he still felt that the war between the Riders should be stopped. During the special, Raia was killed by Kamen Rider Verde and was the first Rider expelled from the Rider War.
OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders
Kamen Rider Raia was part of a group of reinforcement riders led by Akira Date/Kamen Rider Birth to aid the primary riders in defeating the Rock Great Leader. All the Kamen Riders got on their bikes and performed the All Rider Break attack which destroyed the Great Leader.
Kamen Rider Raia
- Height: 190cm
- Weight: 92kg
- Sight & Hearing: 10km
- Maximum Running Speed: 100m/5s
- Maximum Jump Height: 40m
- Punching Power: 10t (AP: 200)
- Kicking Power: 15t (AP: 300)
Raia is a melee-based fighter. Using his Evil Visor (エビルバイザー Ebiru Baizā) mounted on the left forearm of the Rider as a small shield. Raia can use his Swing Vent to summon a whip. Alternately, he can use his Copy Vent which can copy an opponent’s weapon. His Final Vent Hide Venom (ハイドベノン Haido Benon) allows him to ride on Evildiver's back and ram into an opponent.
- Height: 205cm
- Weight: 99kg
- Sight & Hearing: 70km
- Maximum Running Speed: 100m/4s
- Maximum Jump Height: 63m
- Punching Power: 15t (AP: 300)
- Kicking Power: 22.5t (AP: 450)
Kamen Rider Raia Survive (仮面ライダーライアサバイブ Kamen Raidā Raia Sabaibu) is Raia's Survive Form that appeared in the concept art, never appearing in the series or movie, which he assumed by using the power of Survive Shippu (疾風 Shippū, meaning Gale).
In this form, Raia's Rider Visor transforms into a bow-like weapon called the Evil Visor-Zwei (エビルバイザーツバイ Ebiru Baizā Tsubai).
- Main article: EvilDiver
- Advent Deck - Advent Card holders, also used as a key to transformation. As long as Tezuka holds one, he can detects presents of other Riders and Mirror Monsters inside the Mirror World, as well as surviving without dying when return to real world
- V-Buckle - Transformation belt materialized from a mirror reflection.
- Advent Cards - Trading cards that supply the user powers, weapons and Mirror Monsters (if they catch any).
- Evil Visor - Shield-like Visor for Raia to summon the Advent Cards' powers to him and other Riders if he used theirs.
- Evil Whip - Whip modeled after Evildiver's tail.
- Drag Claw - Gauntlet/Arm cannon modeled after Dragreder's Drag Jaw. Copied from Ryuki via Copy Vent.
- Wing Lancer - Lance modeled after Darkwing's tail. Copied from Knight via Copy Vent.
- Raia Survive
- Evil Visor-Zwei - Improved version of Evil Visor that enables Raia to evolve into Raia Survive. Can act as a bow.
- Kamen Ride: Raia: A Rider Card containing the power of Kamen Rider Raia. Used by Diend to summon Kamen Rider Raia armed with Swing Vent. First used in the World of Shinkenger to fight Shinken Gold. Diend uses it again in the World of Decade to fight Ouja and KickHopper. Also available to be summoned by Diend in Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes OOO.
Behind the scenes
- Kamen Rider Raia's name and appearance are derived from the Latin word "Raia", which is used in the scientific terms for Rajiformes and Raja, the genuses that relates to rays and skates.
- Like other Riders in the war, Tezuka died an ironic death: He made predictions that were always right, but sacrificed himself in order to prove his prediction wrong.