|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider W.|
Philip (Raito Sonozaki)
Kamen Rider Double
|Series:||Kamen Rider W|
|Motif:||W, Grasshopper, Cyclone, Detective, Brain|
|Homeworld:||Earth (Main Timeline Continuity)|
|First Appearance:||Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker|
|Last Appearance:||Legend Gamer Stage|
|Number of Episode|
|49 (W) |
Full list of appearances
|Actor:||Masaki Suda |
Tomoya Hashimoto (Child)
Kamen Rider Double
Kamen Rider Cyclone
- "Beginning the lookup..."
- ―Philip's words before entering the Gaia Library[src]
Raito Sonozaki (園咲 来人 Sonozaki Raito), or by his adopted name, Philip (フィリップ Firippu) is the right sided-half of Kamen Rider Double. He is a mysterious young man who works as Shotaro Hidari's partner after he and Detective Narumi save him from an experiment conducted by the Sonozaki Family. Being an avatar to the true Gaia Memory, he has full access to the Gaia Library, which he often interfaces with to look up for information on Dopants, and has computational capabilities comparable to that of a supercomputer. He fights Dopants with Shotaro, projecting his mind into Shotaro's body to form the right half of Kamen Rider Double. Philip represents the mind of Double.
He is a mysterious young man who possesses the true Gaia Memory (地球の記憶 Chikyū no Kioku). His real name is Raito Sonozaki, the third-born child and sole son of Ryubee, whose mind was altered by Satoshi Yamashiro under his father's wishes to have no memory of his name and family. It is also revealed to him that Raito actually died twelve years ago in a freak accident falling into a well connecting to the true Gaia Memory, but he was somehow revived as an avatar almost instantaneously. After being rescued by Shotaro and Sokichi Narumi from a mysterious organization, Philip helps investigate Dopant activity through his ability to access the Gaia Library (地球（ほし）の本棚 Hoshi no Hondana), a collection of all of the information in the known world. However, due to having no memory of his life before being rescued and the need to keep his location secret from the people Shotaro rescued him from, he usually spends his time in the Detective Agency's secret hangar, reading about common topics that he finds interesting. He fights the Dopants with Shotaro as the mind and soul of Kamen Rider Double, providing the Gaia Memories for the right side of Double.
After being thrown into the Gaia Memory for the Gaia Impact and extracted from ClayDoll Xtreme, Philip's body became unstable to the point that should he transform into Kamen Rider Double, again, he would break up into data and completely be absorbed by the planet. Saving their final transformation to save Wakana and fight the Utopia Dopant, Jun Kazu, Philip has Shotaro promise to him that he will still fight for Fuuto even if he is gone. After Kazu is defeated, Philip bids his final farewell to Shotaro as he fades away once the transformation is ended. Before he left, Philip left Shotaro a gift containing a Lost Driver belt and the blank book he used to access the Gaia Library containing a message thanking Shotaro and asking him to continue to protect Futo. A few days later, after being rescued by Shotaro and Philip, Wakana learns that Philip sacrificed his own physical existence to save her and initiates her own Gaia Impact to bring back the Xtreme Memory which slowly reconstructs Philip's physical body which took a year. After being revived, Philip has one last moment with his family who tell him that they will be watching over him. He then spent the next year, waiting for his body to restore and watched over Shotaro within the Xtreme Memory. Upon returning to physical form, he continues to protect the city of Futo as Kamen Rider Double.
Video Game appearances
Kamen Rider Travelers Record
Philip appears in the video game Kamen Rider Travelers Record.
At first, Philip was shown to be completely devoid of interest in human relationships, even calling himself 'a little devil'. Being extremely intelligent, he is mostly apathetic and shows interest only in common topics he finds interesting which he reads occasionally, sometimes even turning into an obsession that overwhelms him until he knows everything about that subject, often getting in the way of ongoing investigations. At times, he would even go to extremes where he would work himself out until he collapses, such as when he was reading on weight-loss, and getting himself very fat after getting obsessed with Mochi, a type of rice cake. After finding out everything there is to know about the topic at hand, he would completely lose interest in the said topic and move on to something else. Being apathetic and having little experience in interacting with people, he is seen to be a cold person who would often annoy people around him with cold hard facts presented in a completely tactless manner. He is also slightly impolite as he often refers everyone except Shotaro, Akiko and his family by their full names while showing no respect to his elders.
After spending time with Shotaro and Akiko, Philip's human and emotional side starts to surface and develop, and over time, he came to love Fuuto and the friends he and Shotaro made. While initially only saying it as a matter of fact, he eventually also comes to playfully tease Shotaro about being 'half-boiled', (which is true most of the time) while still being his most trustworthy friend. Although Philip and Shotaro sometimes fought with each other, Philip understands Shotaro a lot and stated that W which holds the will of Sokichi requires Shotaro's kindness which he also stated is Shotaro's best charm point.
Philip maintained a close relationship with Wakana Sonozaki after helping her in the Violence Dopant case, which was further enhanced when he discovered his identity as Raito Sonozaki until Wakana was convinced to join in the Gaia Impact plan. He became devoted to bring his family out of their Gaia Memory plans so that they can be a true family again, even if it meant disappearing forever.
- Gaia Library access/Peak Human Intelligence
- Due to his status as the True Gaia Memory's avatar, his focus and intelligence are comparable to a super computer and he has access to the Gaia Library, which in turn means that he has access to any recorded knowledge on Earth. While this does not mean that he actually knows everything, his unparalleled ability to crunch enormous amounts of information in a very short time makes him looks as though he does know everything. He can also seemingly connect with others and bring them to the Gaia Library if the person has a Live Connector on them.
- Age Negation
- Since Philip was reborn as humanoid data, his body would not be subjected to the aging process.
- Poor Body Condition
- Being confined most of the time to the hangar doing researches, both before and after being rescued, he does not get to exercise much and as such, he is physically weaker than Shotaro. The FangJoker transformation, which uses his body instead of Shotaro's, thus take a severe toll on him should he sustain the transformation for extensive periods. While he is technically capable of fighting, as seen when he is in FangJoker form, his weak body normally did not allow him to effectively do so outside of transformation. Despite being able to control the right side of any of Kamen Rider Double transformations, he usually yields full control to Shotaro when transformed while he acts as the battlefield tactician. It seems that fighting as Double has strengthened Philip somewhat though, as shown later on in the series.
Kamen Rider Cyclone
- "Cyclone! (Technical guitar)"
- ―Transformation announcement[src]
Through the power of the Cyclone Memory and the Lost Driver, Philip uses the power of the Cyclone Memory to its full potential. When the Memory is placed into the Maximum Slot, Cyclone executes a Rider Kick Maximum Drive. Along with Kamen Rider Joker, the two can execute the Double Rider Kick Maximum Drive. Philip uses this form in the novel, during which Shotaro is put out of commission due to a cold. Shroud gives Philip a Lost Driver, which he uses to become Kamen Rider Cyclone, and this is the same Driver he gives Shotaro before the final battle with Jun Kazu. In the video game, Kamen Rider: Super Climax Heroes, Kamen Rider Cyclone also appears as part of Kamen Rider Joker's Rider Arts move, performing their Double Rider Kick.
- Double Driver - Transformation belt as Double
- Gaia Memories - Devices that used in Double's transformation or power-ups in finisher attacks.
- Fang Memory - Dinosaur-like Gaia Memory that assist Philip whenever he is in distress. Also allows him to become Double as Fang Joker.
- Xtreme Memory - Bird-themed conjoined Gaia Memories that transforms Double into Xtreme Mode. Philip resides in this Memory during the period of reconstructing his new body.
- Memory Gadgets - Support robots that are empowered by pseudo-Gaia Memories.
- Maximum Slots - Gaia Memory slot that enables Double/Cyclone to perform Maximum Drive as barehanded.
- HardBoilder - Double's main Rider Machine.
- RevolGarry - Double's main base of operation and truck which supply power-ups for HardBoilder.
- Gunner A - Accel's mecha/robot ally, borrowed by Double in a battle against a Quetzalcoatlus Dopant.
Behind the scenes
- Philip was named by Sokichi Narumi after the fictional detective Philip Marlowe.
- His name is alternatively spelled as "Philippe" in the aura that is produced when he accesses the Gaia Library.
- Philip is believed to be the second youngest primary Rider to date, with actor Masaki Suda being only 16 years old when the series first aired. A younger 8 year old Ryotaro Nogami was possessed by Momotaros to become Mini Den-O, thus making this version of Ryotaro the youngest Rider of all.
- His real name, "Raito", shares the same pronunciation as the English word "right" in Japanese, as he forms the right side of any Kamen Rider Double formation. Similarly, "Raito" can also mean "Light" as he is the only Sonozaki Family to "shine with light", and "Write" as he can be seen writing on the whiteboard in their garage from time to time.
- His real name also bears similarities to that of Right Suzuki. Like Philip's name, his name could also be a pun, as Suzuki means next, and if his given name is spelled Right, it will be translated as the phrase 'next right'.
- It is possible that Philip has a high compatibility with the Cyclone Memory as shown when he uses only it alongside Shotaro and his Joker Memory to transform into their strongest forms as transforming into Kamen Rider Cyclone and Decade's Final Form Ride.
- Philip is similar to Nero Wolfe in that he does not usually investigate or gather evidence, instead using his intellect to piece the crimes together.
- Since Philip is the Avatar of the True Gaia Memory, he may well have the most knowledge of all the main Riders.
- Philip's three Gaia Memories, Heat, Luna, and Cyclone, come in the colors red, yellow, and green respectively. As well as being the three colors used in traffic lights, it is also the color order of Kamen Rider OOO's Tatoba Combo, with a red Taka Head, yellow Tora Arms, and green Batta Legs.
- Philip is similar to Konoha from Kagerou Project/Mekakucity Actors as they were originally humans (Raito Sonozaki and Haruka Kokonose) whom died and revived as cyber beings without having recollections of their past lives. After their revival, they were given extraordinary abilities (Philip's access to Gaia Library to search for unlimited information and Konoha's superhuman abilities). Both portrayed gluttonous appetites in certain occasions. They were also targeted by their respective show's main antagonist for the villains' grand plan to come to success.
- Ironically, whereas Konoha still has no memories of his past life as Haruka, Philip slowly starts regaining his memories as Raito throughout the course of their respective series. Their activities were inverted in as Konoha is much more active and sporty compared to his former human form while Philip is the other way round.
- While transformed as Double FangJoker, Philip speaks in a slightly deeper voice, making him sound similar to Shotaro.
- Main article: Philip/Appearances