|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider Build.|
Kamen Rider Cross-Z
Kamen Rider Cross-Z Charge
|Series:||Kamen Rider Build|
|Motif:||Dragon, Music, Fire (Cross-Z)|
Dragon, Jelly, Packaging (Cross-Z Charge)
|Rider Type:||Anti-Hero (At first)|
|First Appearance:||That One with the Best Match|
|Number of Episode|
Full list of appearances
Kamen Rider Cross-Z
Kamen Rider Cross-Z Charge
Ryuga Banjou (万丈 龍我 Banjō Ryūga) is a 23-year-old ex-fighter who was wrongly imprisoned for the murder of a scientist named Takumi Katsuragi, who was involved with the Pandora Box. Abducted by Faust while in prison, Ryuga managed to escape with his humanity intact, which would lead him to join Sento Kiryu in uncovering the truth behind their shared experiences as Faust victims.
He will later use the Sclash Driver to become Kamen Rider Cross-Z Charge (仮面ライダークロスチャージ Kamen Raidā Kurōzu Chāji).
Ryuga was born in Yokohama, weighing 3.2 kg. As an adult, Ryuga became a professional fighter, eventually getting engaged to Kasumi Ogura. By the age of 22, Ryuga earned a lifelong ban from fighting for throwing a match; it is implied that he accepted a bribe in order to pay for the frail Kasumi's medical bills. To help his search for a new job, Kasumi directed Ryuga to Takumi Katsuragi, a researcher at the Touto Institute of Advanced Matter Physics, who was apparently looking for an assistant. However, when Ryuga came to Katsuragi's home to apply, he found the latter's corpse inside. Moments later, Touto's Guardians arrived and apprehended Ryuga. Framed for Katsuragi's murder, Ryuga was sentenced to ten years in prison.
While in prison, he was attacked by a prison guard working for Faust, who injected him with Nebula Gas. However, Ryuga's naturally high Hazard Level allowed him to escape mid-experiment with his memories and humanity intact. After fighting off the Faust scientists, he retreated to the sewers.
Meeting Sento Kiryu
Ryuga was eventually found by Touto's Guardians, who attempted to recapture him. Ryuga managed to fend off the Guardians and escaped before he was apprehended by Sento Kiryu, who had tracked him upon noticing his Smash-like energy readings. Upon realizing that Ryuga had undergone a similar experience, Sento began interrogating Ryuga in hopes of uncovering his past, despite Ryuga's frustrated belligerence. The two were interrupted by Strong Smash, who attacked Ryuga. However, Ryuga was saved by Sento, who transformed into Kamen Rider Build and defeated the Smash. Ryuga recognized the Smash's human identity as one of his fellow victims, but was frustrated to find that the man had no memories of the experiments. The Touto government arrived soon after to retake Ryuga. Sento, believing in Ryuga's innocence, helped him escape.
Burn Smash incident
Sento brought Ryuga to the basement lab of the nascita café, where the former had been living for the last year. After meeting Sento's accomplices, Souichi and Misora Isurugi, Ryuga explained the cirumstances that resulted in his arrest. However, the story was interrupted by Sawa Takigawa, a freelance journalist who had entered the base (due to Souichi and Sento's carelessness).
As a precaution, Ryuga was chained up in the lab, much to his chagrin. Misora took the time to explain the Fullbottle purification process to Ryuga, as well as Sento's job. Noticing Misora's smartphone, Ryuga goaded her into proving her ability to purify Smash energy. As planned, Misora left her smartphone where Ryuga could reach it, allowing him to contact Kasumi. However, much to his horror, Kasumi had been kidnapped by Faust as well. Given Kasumi's location by Night Rogue, Ryuga broke out of nascita and raced to save his fiancé. After another encounter with Guardians (which ended with being saved again by Build), Ryuga explained his motives to Sento, but choked him into unconsciousness to prevent him from getting involved.
When Ryuga finally arrived at the location, he learned that he was too late: Kasumi had already been transformed into the Burn Smash. Unable to see his beloved hurt, Ryuga begged Sento not to attack her when the latter arrived. The two were quickly overwhelmed by the Smash and Night Rogue, upon which the latter revealed the horrifying truth: Kasumi's body was too weak to be restored, and removing her Smash essense would be fatal. Realizing that Kasumi could not be saved, Ryuga begged Build to end her suffering. Sento was able to separate Kasumi's consciousness long enough for her and Ryuga to say their goodbyes. Left almost broken by grief, Ryuga would have let himself be captured again if not for Sento, who reminded him that it would all be for nothing if he got arrested again. Kasumi's Smash essence was purified into the Dragon Fullbottle, which Sento gave to Ryuga as a memento of his beloved. Soon after, Sawa arrived, having discovered the identity of the guard who attacked Ryuga: Masahiro Nabeshima.
Continuing the Search
After some searching, Ryuga managed to contact Nabeshima. Nabeshima revealed that his family was being threatened by Faust, upon which Ryuga offered to smuggle them out of Seito to safety in exchange for Nabeshima testifying for his innocence (not realizing this was a trap set up by Night Rogue). With Sawa's help, Ryuga snuck to Seito. Upon retrieving Nabeshima's wife and daughter, Ryuga and Sawa were attacked by hijacked Guardians, barely escaping with their lives. Ryuga arrived in Touto to aid Build in taking down Nabeshima, who had been subjected to two Smash transformations by Faust. While Nabeshima was returned to his human form, the experiments wiped his memory clean, leaving him unable to recognize his daughter, let alone testify for Ryuga.
The next lead came in the form of Tatsuya Kishida, who was roommates (as well as bandmates) with Sento before the latter was captured.
Ryuga is a hot-blooded and impulsive man, tending to lash out quickly. While nowhere near as intelligent as Sento, Ryuga prefers to confront problems directly using his fists and doesn't want to involve other people in his own problems. Also, unlike Sento, he does not overthink things, preferring to use common sense, as shown when he was easily able to guess two Best Matches on his own. He is shown to easily get startled, which a good example is when the bell goes off indicating a Fullbottle is ready.
Beneath his tough exterior is an honest, selfless and honorable individual. It is implied that the cheating that banned him from fighting was to get money for his fiancé's medical treatments.
Ryuga also has a friendly side, such as when he encourages Takehiko after Build removed the Smash essence from him.
Powers and Abilities
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Ryuga is a skilled fighter, having fought professionally before getting a lifelong ban.
- High Hazard Level: Ryuga's Hazard Level is above 2.0, allowing him to retain his humanity after exposure to Nebula Gas while still gaining physiological powers from it. According to Blood Stalk, while fighting, Ryuga can raise his Hazard Level, having raised it as far as 2.7. Currently, in a recent fight against the former, his Hazard Level is now 3.0, which is now high enough to use the Build Driver.
- Superhuman Strength: Ryuga has displayed enhanced strength: he was able to fight off numerous Guardians on his own, and break metal chains with his bare hands.
- Fullbottle Augmentation: By using a Fullbottle in his hand without transforming, Ryuga can gain abilities based on said Fullbottle's traits:
- Dragon: Ryuga's punches give off powerful shockwaves. Notably, his strong synchronization with the Dragon Fullbottle causes his power to increase with each use. Currently, it gets to the point where Ryuga is strong enough to even defeat a Hazard Smash while as a human.
- Smash Energy Signature: Ryuga gives off an energy signature similar to a Smash, which alerted Sento to his location.
- "Cross-Z Dragon! Are you Ready? Wake up burning! Get CROSS-Z DRAGON! Yeah!"
- ―Transformation announcement[src]
- Rider Height: 197.0 cm
- Rider Weight: 102.4 kg
- Punching Power: 27.6 t
- Kicking Power: 33.7 t
- Maximum Jump Height: 57.7 m
- Maximum Running Speed: 100 m per 3.2 sec.
Utilizing Cross-Z, Ryuga becomes a force to be reckoned with, blowing far past Build, Night Rogue, and Blood Stalk's Ability Perimeters. It possesses a greater punching power than Build's GorillaMond form, has a stronger kicking power than Build's KeyDragon form, and exceeds RabbitTank's maximum jump height. Though it loses to some of Build's more agile forms, it is still faster than both Night Rogue and Blood Stalk.
Cross-Z's personal weapon is the Beat Crosser.
Cross-Z can perform Hit-Parade (ヒッパレー Hipparē) special attacks with the Beat Crosser depending on how many times he pulls the bottom of the weapon's handle:
- Smash Hit (スマッシュヒット Sumasshu Hitto): Cross-Z delivers a powerful slash with the blade covered in dark blue fire.
- Million Hit (ミリオンヒット Mirion Hitto): Cross-Z delivers a continuous powerful slash with the blade covered in red, yellow, and green energy in a bar-like fashion.
- Mega Hit (メガヒット Mega Hitto):
Cross-Z has two different finishers:
- Build Driver finisher:
- Dragonic Finish (ドラゴニックフィニッシュ Doragonikku Finisshu):
- Kick Variation: Cross-Z summons a blue and orange energy chinese dragon that flies behind him, then jumps up as the dragon breaths fire, sending him at the enemy, then delivers a roundhouse kick whilst his foot is covered in blue energy.
- Punch Variation: Cross-Z coats his right hand in energy in the shape of a blue chinese dragon head, then delivers a punch.
- Dragonic Finish (ドラゴニックフィニッシュ Doragonikku Finisshu):
- Beat Crosser finishers:
- Smash Slash (スマッシュスラッシュ Sumasshu Surasshu): Cross-Z channels the energy of a Fullbottle in his Beat Crosser, pulls the handle one time and performs a powerful slash.
- Million Slash (ミリオンスラッシュ Mirion Surasshu): Cross-Z channels the energy of a Fullbottle in his Beat Crosser, pulls the handle two times and performs a powerful slash.
- Mega Slash (メガスラッシュ Mega Surasshu): Cross-Z channels the energy of a Fullbottle in his Beat Crosser, pulls the handle three times and performs a powerful slash.
Appearances: Build Episode 11,12, Heisei Generations FINAL: Build & Ex-Aid with Legend Rider
- Rider Height:
- Rider Weight:
- Punching Power:
- Kicking Power:
- Maximum Jump Height:
- Maximum Running Speed:
Appearances: Build Episode TBA
- Build Driver - Transformation device.
- Cross-Z Dragon - Slot adapter for Build Driver and personal familiar.
- Fullbottles - Transformation trinkets.
- Sclash Driver - Secondary transformation device.
- Sclashjellies - Secondary transformation trinkets.
- Build Phone - Smartphone that transforms into the Machine Builder.
Behind the Scenes
Ryuga is portrayed by Eiji Akaso (赤楚 衛二 Akaso Eiji), who previously portrayed Hiroki Nagase in Kamen Rider Amazons Season 2. As Kamen Rider Cross-Z, his suit actor is Eitoku (永徳 Eitoku), who returned in portraying Secondary Riders after Baron.
The kanji "Ryu" (龍) used to spell his first name means "Dragon".
- Ryuga's characteristics are near polar-opposites of Sento Kiryu, as Ryuga possesses high-stamina prowess that can fend off inhumane monsters while lacking a standard-level intellect, while Sento possess a genius-level intellect to create gadgets as part of his force but doesn't have Ryuga's high-level stamina or strength.
- The duo often make some Manzai (漫才,まんざい) conversations, with Sento serving as the funny man (ボケ boke) and Ryuga as the straight man (突っ込み tsukkomi), as a way to reflect the characteristics.
- Kamen Rider Cross-Z's suit is modified from Kamen Rider Build's Dragon Half Body. This mechanism is used to have Cross-Z to compatible with the Build Up function.
- Ryuga has some similarities to the previous character that his actor portrayed prior to Kamen Rider Build, especially in terms on how they first met their respective protagonists. Ryuga and Sento got off to a rocky start that is until the former decided to take refuge with him in order for Sento to figure out his lost memories. While Hiroki had a hard time in getting along with Chihiro at first; although he becomes more caring towards him as Amazons S2 progresses.
- Cross-Z is the first secondary rider to have a dragon motif.
- Cross-Z's Dragonic Finish is performed almost exactly the same as Kamen Rider Ryuki's Final Vent attack. The only difference is whilst Ryuki uses the standard Rider Kick, Cross-Z uses a roundhouse Rider Kick which is the same one used by Kamen Rider Gatack.
|Sento Kiryu - Ryuga Banjou - Kamen Rider Grease - Kamen Rider Rogue|
|Fullbottles - Build Driver - Transteam Gun - Sclashjellies - Sclash Driver - Hazard Trigger - Nebula Steam Gun|
|Drill Crusher - Hawk Gatlinger - 4Koma Ninpoutou - Kaizoku Hasher - Steam Blade - Beat Crosser - Twin Breaker - Muscle Glove - Solstall Wings - Giant Scratcher - Space Ride Arm - Spine Knuckle - Long Range Cleaner - Trash Converter - Gold Lio Gauntlet - Multi Deluge Gun|
|Build Phone - Cross-Z Dragon|
|Misora Isurugi - Soichi Isurugi - Sawa Takigawa|
|Touto Institute of Advanced Matter Physics|
|Gentoku Himuro - Blood Stalk - Takumi Katsuragi|
|Needle Smash - Strong Smash - Burn Smash - Flying Smash - Mirage Smash - Square Smash - Press Smash - Ice Smash|
|View • Talk • Edit|